- The Declaration of Independence
- The Articles of Confederation
- The U.S. Constitution
- The Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers
- Friends of the Constitution: Writings of the “Other” Federalists, 1787-1788, eds. Colleen A. Sheehan and Gary L. McDowell
- Virginia Resolution of 1798
- The Kentucky Resolutions of 1798
- The Kentucky Resolution of 1799
- The Documentary History of the Ratification of the Constitution (volumes VIII-X, on Virginia, are especially interesting)
- The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul, ch. 3 (audiobook)
- Federalism: The Founders’ Design by Raoul Berger
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution by Kevin R.C. Gutzman
- Who Killed the Constitution? The Fate of American Liberty from World War I to George W. Bush by Thomas E. Woods, Jr. and Kevin R.C. Gutzman
- The Constitutional Thought of Thomas Jefferson by David N. Mayer
- Reclaiming the American Revolution: The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions and Their Legacy by William J. Watkins, Jr.
- 33 Questions About American History You’re Not Supposed to Ask by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
- “The Constitution: Four Disputed Clauses” (mp3 audio) by Thomas E. Woods, Jr. (the Woods audio archive contains several dozen lectures, some of which involve the Constitution)
- New Views of the Constitution of the United States (1823) by John Taylor (probably the best Jeffersonian overview of the Constitution; available in html and at Google Books)
- A Brief Enquiry into the True Nature and Character of Our Federal Government (1840) by Abel Upshur. A brilliant and unjustly neglected short book on the nature of the Union created by the Constitution. Available online and as Classic Reprint No. 120 from Vance Publications. Read the foreword.
- Government by Judiciary: The Transformation of the Fourteenth Amendment by Raoul Berger
- “The Original Meaning of the Commerce Clause” by Randy Barnett
- Virginia’s American Revolution: From Dominion to Republic, 1776-1840 by Kevin R.C. Gutzman
- “Madison and the Compound Republic” by Kevin Gutzman (later published as “‘Oh, What a Tangled Web We Weave�’: James Madison and the Compound Republic,” Continuity 22 [Spring 1998]: 19-29)